Director of 4th Oncology Clinic, Metropolitan Hospital
Head, Department of Genetic Counseling and Hereditary Cancer
SPECIALTY / AREAS OF SCIENTIFIC INTEREST
- Breast Cancer
- Lung Cancer
- Targeted Therapies
- Translational Research
- Hereditary Cancer
- Genetic Counseling
- After completing her specialty training, she worked as a Senior Registrar at the Charing Cross Hospital Breast Center, participating in all clinical and research activities.
- Upon her return to Greece in 2000, she obtained a Medical Oncology Specialty Certificate, while in October 2000, after international exams, she obtained a European Certification on Medical Oncology, (ESMO-Board Certified).
- During the summer of 2000, she attended and participated in clinical activities as a Clinical Observer at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Breast Unit in New York, under the supervision of Dr Clifford Hudis, as part of an international project for specialized European and US centers.
- In September 2003, she completed a special training course in Cancer Genetics by the European Genetics Foundation, University of Bologna, Italy.
- Upon her return to Greece in 2000, she worked for a year, initially as a Research Associate Medical Oncologist at the Agioi Anargyroi Cancer Hospital in Kifisia, and later as a Consultant Medical Oncologist at the Athens Euroclinic and the Leto Hospital Breast Center.
- Since April 2001 she has been working at the Metropolitan Hospital 1st Oncology Clinic, under Dr. D. Bafaloukos. She started as a Registrar and as of May 2006 she has been holding the position of Associate Director.
- From September 2018 she is leading her own clinical team, as the Director of 4th Oncology Clinic at Metropolitan Hospital, with special interest on clinical and translational research, coordinating and conducting many national and international clinical trials on several solid tumours, with primary focus on lung cancer, breast cancer, GU cancers and generics.
Elena Linardou graduated from the Medical School of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens in 1989. She attended specialty training in Internal Medicine and Medical Oncology, initially in Athens (3rd Internal Medicine Clinic, Agioi Anargyroi Hospital) and then in London, where she attended and completed a specialty program at the Royal College of Physicians and Royal College of Radiologists, as a Medical Oncologist in specialized Oncology and Hematology Departments at Hammersmith Hospital, Mount Vernon Hospital and Charing Cross Hospital.
With scholarship funding in Greece and England, she prepared her 3-year doctoral dissertation (1994-1997) in Hammersmith Hospital, and in particular at the Royal Postgraduate Medical School, University of London, Imperial College of Science, Technology & Medicine. She successfully completed her thesis in April 1998, and obtained a PhD from the University of London (Doctor of Philosophy, PhD, Area of Study: Oncology).
During her 8-year stay in London, she gained considerable clinical experience in medical oncology, and also produced a significant body of research work, with announcements and publications in scientific conferences and international scope papers. She focused particularly on breast cancer, lung cancer and hereditary cancer, and actively participated in the development of new technologies and molecular targeted therapies.
INTERESTS / RESEARCH & EDUCATIONAL ACTIVITIES
Other Scientific Activities / Certifications
- Assistant Professor, Department of Radiology, Faculty of Health & Caring Professions, Athens TEI (2004-2009)
- National Representative for Greece in the Young Medical Oncologists Group of the European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO, 2003-2007) and a member of the Steering Committee of ESMO's Young Medical Oncologists (2005-2007)
- Member of the Research Group for Oncology in Europe (MOSES = Medical Oncology Status in Europe, ESMO) (since 2004)
- Member of the ESMO W40 Commitee (since 2018)
- Elena Linardou is an active member of several medical societies in Greece and abroad, as well as in research groups with significant presence in clinical and translational research, having access to large international collaborative clinical studies and new innovative anti-cancer treatments.
Fellowship in Medical & Scientific Societies
- Athens Medical Association (ISA)
- Hellenic Society of Medical Oncology (HeSMO)
- Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group (HeCOG)
- Hellenic Society for the Study of Melanoma
- Senologic Hellenic Society
- General Medical Council, UK (GMC)
- Hellenic Medical Society, London
- British Medical Association, (BMA)
- European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer (MASCC)
- Mediterranean Multidisciplinary Oncology Forum (MMOF)
Elena Linardou has authored 60 original peer-reviewed publications in peer-reviewed journals, many abstracts in international conferences and book chapters. She has extensive participation in Greek and international conferences, with oral announcements and as a guest speaker. She has 181 cited publications in Google Scholar, with 4405 citations, h-index 29 (February 2020).
Dr Linardou focuses mainly on breast and lung cancer, and cancer genetics. In recent years, she has been conducting additional research activities in melanoma and soft tissue sarcomas. As part of her active participation in the Mediterranean Multidisciplinary Oncology Forum (MMOF), she actively cooperates with doctors from the Mediterranean and Middle Eastern countries, while she holds strong collaborations with the Istituto de Tumori, Italy, with common research projects through the Transcan European Research Collaboration.