Director, 1st Oncology Clinic, Metropolitan Hospital, since 2001
Former Associate Director, 2nd Oncology Clinic, Metaxas Hospital
- In 1998 he obtained a specialty certificate in Medical Oncology. In 1994 he became European-Board Certified, upon successful completion of ESMO exams in Lisbon.
- In 2005 he became a Professor of Oncology at the School of Health Sciences, Athens TEI. Since 2013 he has been a Visiting Lecturer at the Faculty of Dentistry, University of Athens. He is also a Professor at the Mediterranean University of Mastology (MANOSMED).
- He graduated from the University of Athens in 1976 and received a Specialty Certificate in Internal Medicine in 1980. He completed his Doctoral Thesis on “Alternate administration of chemotherapy in breast cancer” (grade summa cum laude) and obtained a PhD from the Medical School of the University of Athens in 1988.
- He was granted a scholarship by the National Health Service and worked as a Registrar at the Royal Marsden Hospital in London and as an Honorary Research Fellow at the Westminster Hospital in London until 1989. After returning to Greece, he worked as a Registrar A and Associate Director at the Metaxas General Hospital of Piraeus.
Interests/Research & Educational Activities
- He is Chairman of the Mediterranean Multidisciplinary Oncology Forum (MMOF) and the Hellenic Society for the Study of Melanoma. He is a former President of the Hellenic Society of Medical Oncology Physicians during 2005-2009, and a former representative of Greece to the European Society for Medical Oncology during 2000-2006.
- He is a Board Member of the Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group (HeCOG) and an active member in international bodies such as ASCO, ESMO, MASCC, ISOO etc.
- Mr. Bafaloukos has published 170 studies in peer-reviewed journals and 42 studies in Greek journals. Many of his scientific articles have been presented at international conferences and have been published in conference proceedings. His work has 3,500 citations.
- He has been a main author or coauthor for monographs and books on Oncology, an Editor in Chief of the Mediterranean Oncology Journal, and Editorial Board member of several international journals.
- He has given several lectures in Greek and international conferences.
- He has organized the following international conferences:
- ESMO (1988), ICATM (2004), Turkish-Greek conferences (2005-2007), MMOF (2009, 2011), MASCC (2011), HeSMO (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009).
- He has been awarded 15 prizes for his scientific work in Oncology, as well as for his social work in patients with neoplastic diseases.